The Office of Aviation Safety investigates almost 1700 aircraft accidents each year, most of which are general aviation accidents investigated by regional staff. While these generally do not have the public visibility of major air carrier accident investigations, these investigations can still involve safety issues important to the traveling public.
Selected Recent Investigations
- 10/15 - At 4:00 PM CDT, Simpson, LA. Cessna 172R missing since 10/14 was found crashed.
- 10/12 - At 9:49 AM CDT, Fredericksburg, TX. Robinson R44 was found crashed.
- 10/11 - At 5:04 PM MDT, Laramie Peak, WY. Wreckage of Piper PA32 missing since 10/9/12 located in mountainous terrain near summit of Laramie Peak. The flight was VFR from Dodge City, KS to Casper, WY.
- 10/11 - At 2PM EDT, Chuckey, TN. Experimental amateur-built Lightning impacted field.
- 10/10 - At 12:10 PM, CDT, Crowley, LA. Bell 206 helicopter impacted terrain after a possible tower guy wire strike.
- 10/7 - At 5:15 PM ADT, Aleknagik, AK. Grumman G44 Amphibian crashed while landing on Tikchik Lake and sank.
- 10/6 - At 9:45 AM CDT, Terrell, TX. Beech A-36 on an Instrument Flight Ruled flight plan from Roanoke, Texas, to Athens, Texas, was lost on radar, seven miles southeast of Terrell, Texas. A search was initiated and the airplane was located at about 6 PM CDT.
- 10/5 - At 7:50 AM CDT, Intracoastal City, LA. Bell 407 helicopter, operated by Bristow Helicopters impacted a marsh after seen entering a fog bank.